NEW On Line Y Clinics
NJYS through US Youth Soccer now offers Four On Line Coaching Education Platforms for all Level Coaches especially for Novice Recreational Level Coaches
1. U6/U8 Coaching Module (formerly the NJYS Y Clinic)
2. U10/12 Coaching Module (formerly the NJYS Y Clinic)
3. Parent's Guide and Introduction to Youth Soccer
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) - Head's Up: Concussions in Sports Intro Course
NJ State Law Requirement for all Level Coaches! Go to NJYS home page, Registration Info tab for complete information about this requirement.
For more information: http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/online-educaton/
The U6/8 and U10/12 Coaching Module courses described below have both an online presentation component and an on-field practical session. The online presentation component contains short video demonstrations and true/false and multiple question form quizzes along the way which must be viewed and completed successfully before being able to proceed further to the next chapter of the presentation. This should take approximately 30 minutes to complete. During a 1.5 to 2 hour field session a NJYS Coaching School Instructor will demonstrate the philosophy and coaching methodology addressed in the On line presentation through developmentally appropriate activities and games using children from the host organization. Coaches will also be given some time to demonstrate and coach an activity related to the respective age group and given constructive feedback.
At the conclusion of these clinics the participant/coach should be able:
- Describe the term 'developmentally appropriate' and how it relates to player centered coaching using the game of soccer as the vehicle (especially for the coach and child being exposed to organized youth soccer for the very first time)
- Design and apply practices and game-like activities that will provide many opportunities to stimulate children into moving, thinking, acting, deciding, and problem solving in an uninhibited and spontaneous learning environment.
- Apply a coaching/teaching philosophy of working with children that stresses enjoyment of learning through different stages of development.
- Discuss the balance between skill and challenge and how it relates to the joy of participation and satisfaction of learning to know oneself.
Note: Both sections must be completed in order to fulfill the course requirements. At the successful conclusion of these programs, a coach will be able to download a certificate of completion.
U6-U8 Youth Coaching Module
This course focuses on age specific knowledge for coaches of children aged 4 to 8 (U6-U8) players such as the rules of the game,
characteristics of the children and coaching techniques for this age group.
U6-U8 Module Direct link: http://education.usyouthsoccer.org/courses/New-Jersey/u6u8-youth-coaching-module-New-Jersey/
U10-U12 Youth Coaching Module
The U10-U12 course takes the successful U6-U8 course and adapts it for coaches with older players who are 9 to 12 years of age. Adaptations include: Rule changes, characteristics of U10-U12 players and coaching approaches for players in this age group.
U10-U12 Module Direct link: http://education.usyouthsoccer.org/courses/New-Jersey/U10U12-youth-coaching-module-new-jersey/
Each person taking the Youth Coaching Modules should watch the FREE on-line clinic for How to Write a Training Session Plan.
Coaches at any level, taking any coaching course will find the information useful.
This includes a 7 minute video on how to set up the practice environment